This article covers phpBB which is a completely free open-source Forum Software. It has lots of features while maintaining efficiency and ease of use.
#phpBB, which is an abbreviation for PHP Bulletin Board, is one of the best free and open-source forum scripts for creating a forum.
There are two ways to install phpBB on a website:
1. You can #install phpBB manually
2. Install phpBB via #cPanel Softaculous Apps Installer
To create a forum in phpBB:
1. Click Forums.
2. Enter the name of the new forum here.
3. Click Create new forum.
4. Enter a description for the new forum here.
5. Click Submit.
That's it! The forum has been successfully created.
To Create a phpBB Forum:
1. Download and Install phpBB. The first thing you'll need to do is download the phpBB software.
2. Register Your phpBB Forum Administrator Account.
3. Set Up Your phpBB Forum.
4. Start Creating Content.
phpBB’s best features that you can use to help launch your first online forum:
1. Responsive design — supports the latest version of HTML5 and CSS3, thus providing you with a responsive and cross-browser compatible design.
2. Search engine crawler handling — comes with configurations and access control for over 100 crawlers for board optimization.
3. Unread message tracking — notifies users whether or not they have seen new published posts and topics.
4. Private message system — allows users to send direct messages to each other via the forum.
5. COPPA registration — prevents underage users from registering to the forum.
6. OAuth login — allows users to register using Google, Bit.ly, or Facebook accounts.
7. Data management — supports various popular database management tools like MySQL, Oracle Database, and SQLite.
Reasons why you should consider creating an online forum:
1. Encourage discussion and feedback — users can use the available space to exchange ideas and give you insights into the quality of your content for further improvement.
2. Support audience research — lets you observe visitor preferences and browsing habits in a closed environment.
3. Build a community — having great communication and sharing similar interests with other people will give your users a sense of belonging to a community.