This article covers how to fix Windows Update Error 0x80240440.
To fix Windows Update error 0x80240440:
1. Click Start and start typing on your keyboard for "services.msc"
2. In your search results "services.msc" should show up. Open it with a click.
3. A new windows will open containing all Windows services on your system.
Search for "Windows Update"
5. Right-click the "Windows Update" and then click Stop.
Also, you can clean the Windows Update temporary cache folder:
1. Hold your windows-key pressed and hit "R" key simultanous.
2. A small new windows will appear.
3. Type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore in this new window and click OK.
4. This will open Windows Explorer on the correct location.
5. Delete all contents of this folder. (Hint: Use Ctrl + A to select all files and folders).
Eventually, you can start the Windows Update Service again:
1. Switch back to the windows Services.
2. Locate Windows Update.
3. Right-click on it and choose Start.