There are multiple email clients that you can leverage and configure your email account on Linux. Some of the widely used email clients include Thunderbird, Evolution, and KMail. Geary is another handy and easy-to-use email client that lets you conveniently set up your email account. It is completely free and open-source is currently developed and maintained by the GNOME project.
In this context, we shall look into the installation of Geary on Ubuntu.
Key features of Geary email client includes:
- Support for a wide range of email providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook.com, and other IMAP servers including Zimbra and Dovecot.
- Modern, neat, and user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate.
- Fully-featured HTML mail composer.
- Desktop notification for new emails.
- Provides a conversation view of emails.
- Supports the ability to answer directly in conversations or in a separate window.
- Supports the creation of a custom signature.
Steps to install Geary email client on Ubuntu Linux
1. Perform System Update
To begin, refresh the package lists on your Ubuntu Linux system with the below command:
$ sudo apt update
2. Install Geary email client
Geary is quite easy to install and configure. You can install Geary email client with the below command:
$ sudo apt install geary
This installs Geary alongside other new packages and dependencies that will be required by Geary.
How to launch Geary email client ?
Once installed, launch Geary by clicking on the 'Activities' tab and searching for Geary. Then click on the Geary icon to launch it.
This will display the Geary User Interface prompting you to select an email provider. Here, you will be presented with a wide array of option including Gmail, Outlook, and Yahoo plus you get to define other providers of your choice.
How to configure Geary email client ?
- For demonstration purposes, we will have chosen to configure out account with Gmail.
- Key in your email address or phone number that you use to authenticate with your Gmail account. Click on 'Next' to continue with the setup.
- Next, provide your Gmail password and hit 'Next'.
- Next, grant the GNOME utility access to manage your email account including reading, composing ,deleting, and accessing your Google Drive files.
- Then Click 'Allow'.
- Next, provide your username Gmail address and password and finally click on the 'Create' button to finalize creating your account on the Geary email client.
- Thereafter, Geary will load all your email messages. From here, you can begin managing your email conversations. You will see that there's a striking resemblance between Geary UI and that of Gmail – which makes it even more intuitive and friendly to use and navigate.
How to uninstall Geary from Ubuntu Linux system ?
For complete uninstallation of Geary email client, you have to use your system package manager either or run the command:
$ sudo apt-get remove –autoremove geary