Kate is a powerful text editor that can open multiple files simultaneously with 200 languages. It comes with plugins that boasts the Kate editor functionality. The clean interface of Kate editor helps the developer to maximize their productivity.
In this context, we shall look into how to install Kate editor on your Ubuntu 20.04.
Main features of Kate editor includes:
- MDI, window splitting, window tabbing.
- Spell checking.
- CR, CRLF, LF newline support.
- Encoding support (utf-8, utf-16, ascii etc.).
- Encoding conversion.
- Regular expression based find & replace.
- Powerful syntax highlighting and bracket matching.
- Code and text folding.
- Infinite undo/redo support.
- Block selection mode.
- Auto indentation.
- Auto completion support.
- Shell integration.
- Wide protocol support (http, ftp, ssh, webdav etc.) using kioslaves.
- Plugin architecture for the application and editor component.
- Customizable shortcuts.
- Integrated command line.
Steps to install Kate editor on Ubuntu Linux system
1. Perform System Update
To begin, update the system repositories with the below command:
$ sudo apt update
2. Install Kate editor on the system
Now, install Kate Editor with the below command:
$ sudo apt install kate
3. Confirm Kate Editor Installation
The Kate editor can be verified using both the command line and graphical user interface:
$ kate --version
Using the above command will show you the latest version in the CLI.
You can search via the graphical user interface for Kate editor.
How to Launch Kate Editor ?
You can launch Kate editor using both the graphical user interface and command line.
Use the following command to open Kate editor:
Also, you can search Kate Editor from the graphical start menu.
How to Uninstall Kate Editor From Ubuntu 20.04 ?
If somehow a user decides not to use the Kate editor anymore then the user can uninstall it easily using the following command:
$ sudo apt remove kate