The Vivaldi browser was launched in the year 2016. It is a cross-platform web browser that is used to do faster, private, and secure browsing. It provides a very high level of control and flexibility to its users.
Here at Ibmi Media, as part of our Server Management Services, we regularly help our Customers to perform related Open Source Software Installation tasks.
In this context, we shall look into how to Install Vivaldi browser on Linux Mint 20 system.
Main features Vivaldi Web Browser:
- Protection from trackers: Vivaldi blocks sites from tracking you around the web so that you can browse privately because online privacy is as important as security.
- Built-in ad blocker: Vivaldi gives you the option to block ads right in your browser – no extensions needed. Block all ads or adjust per site.
- Secure sync with end-to-end encryption: Sync your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, and more across all your devices
- Tab stacking, tab tiling and vertical tabs: Vivaldi gives you full control of how you group, display and interact with tabs
- Add Favorite websites and apps in the sidebar: Get quick access to your favorite chat apps, social feeds and news sites. Add as many as you like to your sidebar, and rearrange with drag 'n' drop.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts: Use your keyboard to browse faster! Customize keyboard shortcuts
- Quick commands: Use Vivaldi’s universal search to find open tabs, bookmarks, entries in your browsing history, and more.
- Notes manager: Write down ideas in the browser's sidebar using Notes. Format text with Markdown, automatically attach screenshots, and more.
- Enjoy predefined dark and light theme: Vivaldi gives you dark and light themes as well as an option to use your OS themes.
- Pop-out video: Keep videos floating above other windows and applications.
- Chrome extensions: You can install Chrome extensions on Vivaldi browser.
How to Install Vivaldi Web Browser on Linux Mint 20 ?
To have the Vivaldi browser installed on your Linux system, you should follow all the steps that have been listed below.
1. Install all the Necessary Packages:
Before installing Vivaldi on your system, you need to have some important packages installed on it. These packages can be installed with the following command:
$ sudo apt install wget gnupg2 software-properties-common –y
When these packages are successfully installed on your system, you can proceed to the next step in the method.
2. Import the Relevant GPG Key to your Linux System:
Now, you need to import the relevant GPG key to your system with the command shown below:
$ wget –qO- https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add –
The "OK" message in the output of this command will indicate that the GPG key has been added successfully to our Linux system.
3. Add the Vivaldi Repository to your Linux System:
After adding the GPG key, you can add the Vivaldi repository to your Linux system with the following command:
$ echo ‘deb https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb/ stable main’ | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list
4. Perform a System Update:
Finally, you will have to perform a system update with the command shown below after which you will be able to install Vivaldi on your Linux system:
$ sudo apt update
After performing a system update, you are ready to install the Vivaldi browser on your Linux system.
5. Install Vivaldi Browser on your System:
The Vivaldi browser can be installed on your Linux system with the following command:
$ sudo apt install vivaldi-stable
This command will immediately install the Vivaldi browser on your Linux system.
6. Access the Vivaldi Browser through your System's Terminal:
You can also access this browser through your system’s terminal by executing the command shown below:
This will display the welcome screen of the Vivaldi browser from where you can start surfing the Internet through this browser.
How to Uninstall Vivaldi browser from Linux Mint System ?
If you want to remove the Vivaldi browser from your Linux system, then you can do it with the command shown below:
$ sudo apt-get purge --autoremove vivaldi-stable
[Need assistance in fixing Software Installation packages on Ubuntu Linux System? We can help you. ]