Scala is a relatively modern high-level language that supports object-oriented programming and functional programming capabilities. It is a general purpose language which is very much similar to Java. Scala basically stands for scalable language. To use this programming language with the Linux operating system, you must have its compiler installed on your system.
Here at Ibmi Media, we shall look into the procedure of installing the Scala compiler on a Linux Mint 20.02 system.
If you want to install GCC compiler on Ubuntu 20.04, visit https://linuxapt.com/blog/12-install-gcc-on-ubuntu .
Main features of Scala Compiler includes :
- It has a concise, new and Shiny syntax – it has a readable syntax with new syntax foe control structures such as if, for, while e.t.c.
- It's a functional programming (FP) language.
- It Java-compatible – interacts seamlessly with Java code.
- It supports the FP/OOP fusion.
- It has a dynamic feel but is a statically-typed language.
- It has an expressive type system supporting Inferred types, Intersection types, Union types, Type lambdas, Open classes, Context bounds e.t.c.
- It runs on the JVM (and in the browser).
- For web development, Scala 3 has: Scalatra is a tiny, high-performance, async web framework, inspired by Sinatra, Lagom(a microservices framework), Scala.js(it provides a safer way to build robust front-end web applications), ScalaJs-React, Finatra e.t.c.
Steps to install Scala Compiler on Linux Mint 20.02
1. Check if Java is installed on your Linux Mint 20.02 Machine
Before you proceed with the installation of the Scala compiler on your Linux Mint 20.02 system, you must have Java 1.8 or higher installed on your system. You can confirm that by executing the below command:
$ java --version the target system.
2. Install the Scala Compiler on the system
Now, for installing the Scala compiler on your system, you have to run the below command:
$ sudo apt-get install scala
The installation of Scala will begin soon after you will type this command in your terminal followed by hitting the Enter key. However, during the installation, you still will have to provide your consent by hitting the "Y" character so that your installation process can keep running smoothly.
3. Confirm the Installation of the Scala Compiler on Linux Mint 20.02
Finally, it is the time to confirm if the Scala compiler has been successfully installed on our Linux Mint 20.02 machine or not. For that, we will check its version with the below command:
$ scalac –version
The version of the Scala compiler confirms that the Scala compiler has been installed successfully on our target Linux Mint 20.02 system.
How To Uninstall scala on Ubuntu 21.04 ?
To uninstall only the scala package we can use the following command:
$ sudo apt-get remove scala
We can use the following command to remove scala configurations, data and all of its dependencies, we can use the following command:
$ sudo apt-get -y autoremove --purge scala
[Need help in fixing Linux system issues ? We can help you. ]