Are you facing Winsock Error 10061?
This guide is for you.
Winsock error 10061 indicates that the server you are attempting to connect to is actively refusing the connection. This usually results from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the foreign host.
Here at Ibmi Media, as part of our Server Management Services, we regularly help our Customers to resolve Windows related errors.
In this context, we shall look into methods to fix this error.
What triggers Winsock Error 10061?
Here, you will see the common causes of this error.
1. The most common cause is a misconfigured server, full server, or using an incorrect port to connect.
2. Poor or no internet connection.
3. Service inactive on the destination server.
4. Trying to connect to the wrong host.
5. Using a port number that is higher than 655355.
6. A firewall or anti-virus software on the local computer or network connection blocking the connection.
7. Corrupted registry.
Methods to fix Winsock Error 10061?
Apply the tips given below to resolve this error:
1. First we must check if the Internet connection is working properly or not.
2. Next we need to ensure that firewall is not blocking the Winsock connection.
Generally, firewalls are designed to prevent unauthorized access soo there is a possibility that it can see Winsock as a potential threat.
To unblock Winsock, we can use the following steps:
a. First, locate the firewall in the navigation bar (next to the clock)
b. Then right-click and take the “Exception List”
c. In the exception list, if Winsock is not already displayed, we will add it.
3. Run a scan to check for potential threats or viruses using any anti-virus.
4. Clean out the registry using a registry cleaner to scan through the part of the PC and repair any of the damaged settings if any.
5. After that we can verify whether the host is resolving to the correct IP address
6. Then we will check whether the ports are open and listening.
7. We must keep in mind to use any port less than 65535.
8. After this we will ensure that the service can be connected to all IP addresses. Also, we will check if the ISP allows outbound traffic on port 25.
10. If all the above steps did not help to connect, we will disable the firewall or anti-virus software and try to connect again.