Wine is a free, open-source application that allows you to run native Windows programs and computer games on a Linux machine. Wine also has a software library with the name 'Winelib' which enables developers to port windows applications to Unix-like systems. Wine's full form is "Wine Is Not an Emulator".
Here at Ibmi Media, we shall look into how to install Wine on Manjaro Linux machine.
To Install Wine on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, visit: https://linuxapt.com/blog/110-install-wine-on-ubuntu-20-04-lts
Steps to install Wine on our Manjaro system
1. Perform System Update
To begin, we need to update our system with the help of the following command:
$ sudo pacman -Syu
2. Install Wine on the system
Here, you can install the latest stable version of the wine application:
$ sudo pacman -S wine winetricks wine-mono wine_gecko
3. Install Wine's development branch
You can also install the development branch of Wine by running the below-mentioned command:
$ sudo pacman -S wine-staging
4. Verify Wine Installation
- To check if Wine now appears on our system, go to the start menu and locate Wine.
- If you are not able to locate the application on the screen, go to the search bar and type wine. This will show you the application. If the application doesn't exist, that means there was some issue during the installation. Kindly go through the previous steps again to install it.
- Next, run the application to see if it working fine or not.
- It will start to update first when you will start the application. Once updated, a window will open.
- Select 'Create new wineprefix' and then press OK.
- Next configure it as shown below and OK it.
After that, go to the terminal and type the following command to open the Wine configuration:
To access Wine's registry editing tool, run the following command:
To access Wine's version of the Windows Control Panel, run the following command:
$ wine control
How to uninstall Wine from Manjaro Linux machine ?
In order to uninstall Wine application from our system, execute the below command:
$ sudo pacman -R winetricks
[Need help in fixing Linux application installation issues ? We can help you. ]