Disk quota not working is one of the common errors reported by our customers using Virtualmin.
Are you trying to fix Quota not working in Virtualmin? We can help you.
Here at Ibmi Media, as part of our Server Management Services, we regularly help our Customers to resolve related Virtualmin issues.
How to fix quota not working in Virtualmin ?
Following are some of the steps to follow to handle this error.
1. Checking the configuration
- We can perform a re-check on the configuration file when we find an issue with the disk quota. This will help us to confirm the issues with the services in Virtualmin.
- The re-check can be done from Re-Check Config in the System Settings.
- Generally, if there is an issue with the quota, it will return the following output:
- Quotas are not enabled on the filesystem / which contains home directories under /home and email files under /home. Quota editing has been disabled.
2. Restarting the quotas
Another way to fix this error is to restart the quotas. As the re-check output will not always give us the exact reason for this error. In such cases, we can try restarting the quotas with the following command:
We can also try restarting the Webmin service with the following command:
The restart of the quota service should give us clues on the issue like the one given below:
* Turning off quotas...
quotaon: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/root: No such file or directory
3. Symlink the /dev/root
If we get the error shown above after restarting the quota, we can infer that the /dev/root does not exist.
The device /dev/root has to exist and it should be a symlink to the partition on which the root filesystem resides.
So if our root filesystem resides on /dev/sda1, /dev/root should be a symlink that points to /dev/sda1.
We can find this using the following command:
$ cat /etc/fstab
If it is using the file system /dev/sda1, we can use the following command:
$ ln -s /dev/sda1 /dev/root
How to modify quotas in Virtualmin ?
Now we will see the steps to change or modify the disk quota in Virtualmin.
To set a disk quota, firstly need to log in to Virtualmin installation and access Webmin.
After logging in, we must do the following steps to enable disk quotas:
1. Firstly, we must click on the Webmin section.
2. Then select the System option
3. And click on the Disk Quotas module.
4. Now we will be able to see the disk quotas.
5. From here we can choose to edit/list disk quotas using the following:
- User – Edit and list disk quotas by User.
- Group – Edit and list disk quotas by Group.
- Both User and Group – List both User and Group quotas.
6. Here, we will be editing quotas based on the User.
7. We can either provide the username in the search box or click the user selection icon next to the search box.
8. After that we must select the file system that we wish to edit the quota on typically this will be "/"
9. Then we must click the Edit Quota On button.
10 Here, we can set any disk quotas or limits that we find fit.
11. Finally, click the Update button
[Need assistance in fixing Virtualmin configuration issues? We can help you. ]