Are you trying to install Python on Windows?
This guide will help you.
Here at Ibmi Media, as part of our Server Management Services, we regularly help our Customers to perform Windows based Software Installation tasks.
In this context, we shall look into the process to install Python on windows.
More information about Python ?
Python is one of the popular programming languages that is mainly used to develop applications. It allows running modules and full applications from a large library of resources on the server.
Moreover, it works on many operating systems, including Windows Server OS.
Installation of Python in Windows is quite a simple process that includes downloading the installer from Python.org and running it on the server.
Steps to install Python on Windows ?
To install Python, simply follow the steps given below:
1. First, log into the server through Remote Desktop Protocol. For that, you need the server’s IP address, RDP username, and its password.
2. Next, download and execute the latest Python installation package that is available from Python.org.
3. In case, if you want to adjust the locations or features then you can choose Customize Installation. But this may require additional configuration.
4. Make sure to check the box for “Add Python 3.7 to PATH”. This will adjust the System Environment Variables automatically so that Python can be launched from any command prompt.
5. Finally, verify the installation by opening a command prompt window in your Python installation directory. However, if you had selected “Add Python 3.7 to PATH”, you can verify the installation from any command prompt window.
You must see a similar message as shown below:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Python 3.7.0 (v3.7.0:1bf9cc5093, Sep 21 2020, 04:59:51) [MSC
v.1914 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type “help”,”copyright”,”credits” or “license” for more information.
How to install PIP on Windows ?
PIP is one of the best tools to install and manage Python packages. Also, it enables 3rd party package installations.
In case, if you do not install PIP using the default settings in the installer, you will have to install this program to make application and module management easier.
Also, you can verify the PIP installation by opening a command prompt and running the below command:
You will get an output such as this:
pip 18.0 from
c:\users\administrator\appdata\local\programs\python\python37\lib\site-packages\pip (python 3.7)
If not installed, then install it by following the below steps:
i. First, download get-pip.py to a folder on your computer.
ii. Then open a command prompt and navigate to the folder containing the get-pip.py installer.
iii. Finally, execute the following command:
Now, the PIP installation must successfully complete.
The PIP configuration file can be found at %HOME%\pip\pip.ini.
Pip also contains a legacy per-user configuration file. This file is located at %APPDATA%\pip\pip.ini.
You can also specify a custom path location for this config file using the environment variable PIP_CONFIG_FILE.