Is your Website affected by the error "drupal ajax error 500" ?
This guide is for you.
The 500 Internal Server Error is a very general HTTP status code that means something has gone wrong on the web site's server but the server could not be more specific on what the exact problem is.
Drupal Ajax error 500 is one of the common Drupal errors you will encounter while running a website.
This error occurs due to many reasons that include insufficient memory, bad permissions, and so on.
In this context, we shall look into different causes for this error and ways to resolve it.
What triggers drupal ajax error 500 ?
The different reasons that cause this error are outlined below.
1. Insufficient memory
If there isn’t sufficient memory to run the process it causes this error to occur.
So it is better to set a greater memory in the php.ini file. We can also set this memory limit in the .htaccess file as well.
2. Bad permissions
Bad permissions are one of the most common reasons that cause errors in the website.
Even, for drupal ajax error 500 to occur, improper permissions also can be one of the reasons.
3. Broken modules
Customers do enable modules on the website for better performance. In case, if these modules break then it will create a problem without the insight of the website owner.
So, it is best to uninstall the module and then get it re-installed and check if it was causing an error.
Methods to fix drupal ajax error 500 ?
One of our customers was trying to install Drupal Open Enterprise and received an error message as shown below:
An AJAX HTTP error occured.
HTTP Result Code: 500
To fix this error, follow the steps given below:
i. First, we started to troubleshoot the error by increasing the PHP parameters.
We increase the memory_limit in the php.ini file.
Here are the parameters that we set in the php.ini file:
max_execution_time = 180
max_input_time = 180
max_input_nesting_level = 300
memory_limit = 512M
ii. And then we added the below line in .htaccess file:
php_value auto_append_file none
iii. Next, we verified the permission of sites/default/settings.php and sites/default folder.
Browsing to the folder where drupal was extracted we made a copy of sites/default/default.settings.php to sites/default/settings.php
$ cp sites/default/default.settings.php sites/default/settings.php
iv. And then ensured permissions were set correctly on both the paths by running the commands:
$ chmod a+w sites/default/settings.php
$ chmod a+w sites/default
After the changes, we were able to install drupal without any error.