Sometimes, we may encounter the error, Unable to find ostemplate when trying to reinstall OpenVZ VPS on the SolusVM localhost node as a result of a known Bug tagged #SVM-1831.
Nature of SolusVM error Unable to find ostemplate
The cause of this error can be the Bug #SVM-1831 that is planned to fix in future SolusVM versions.
Recently, while one of our customers tried reinstalling OpenVZ VPS on SolusVM localhost node, he came across the error, "Unable to find ostemplate".
The major symptoms of the error include:
1. Unable to reinstall a container on localhost in Virtual Servers > VPS > Reinstall
2. We can find the below error in /var/log/vzctl.log:
Opening delta /vz/private/VEID/root.hdd/root.hds
vzctl : CT VEID : Error: Unable to find ostemplate: 1
vzctl : CT VEID : Destroying Container private area: /vz/private/VEID
vzctl : CT VEID : The ploop image /vz/private/VEID/root.hdd has been successfully unregistered
3. If we attempt to enter this container, the following error occurs:
# vzctl enter 101
enter into CT 101 failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
4. It is possible to reinstall a new VPS using the Client area.
However, until the fix becomes available, we can use the native reinstall tool:
1. We connect to the SolusVM Master via SSH
2. Then we stop the container
# vzctl stop CTID
3. Re-install OS
# vzctl reinstall <CTID> –ostemplate <template_name>
Here, we replace <CTID> with the actual VPS CT ID, and <template_name> with the template name without the ".tar.gz" part.
Suppose, the container was already reinstalled from the SolusVM Admin area. In such a case, the only solution is to completely remove the container and create a new one.
Unable to create OpenVZ VPS in SolusVM
Apart from the error above, we may also notice the error "Unable to get appcache tarball name" while creating OpenVZ VPS in SolusVM.
The symptoms of this can be as follows:
1. Unable to create an OpenVZ VPS in SolusVM – VPS stays offline.
2. In /var/log/vzctl.log we can see the error:
vzctl: CT 101: Unable to get appcache tarball name for ve-vswap-solus.conf-sample with ostemplate centos-6-x86_64-minimal
3. The /var/log/vztt.log shows the below error:
Error: package_manager file for centos-6-x86_64 EZ os template should be filled
The cause of this error can be a necessary package missing.
To fix this error, do the following:
1. Initially, we connect to the slave server over SSH.
2. Then we install the template and vzpkg packages:
# yum install vzpkg* centos-6-x86_64-ez -y
3. Eventually, we update the package_manager file:
# echo “rpm47x64” > /vz/template/centos/6/x86_64/config/os/default/package_manager