Due to different reasons, we may want to delete a Virtual Server in Virtualmin.
Note: Before proceeding, please be aware that once a Virtual Server is removed, all files, databases, and users are permanently deleted and cannot be restored without using a backup.
In this context, we shall look into how we can delete a Virtual Server in Virtualmin.
How to Delete Virtual Server in Virtualmin ?
To begin, make note that once we remove a Virtual Server, all files, databases, and users are permanently deleted and cannot be restored without a backup.
To do this successfully, simply follow the below steps:
- Initially, we click on the Virtualmin section.
- Then we click on the domain name for the Virtual Server we wish to delete from the drop-down box. For example, test.ibmimedia.com.
- Here, we select Disable and Delete from the available options.
- Eventually, we click on the Delete Virtual Server module.
- Once we are sure to delete the Virtual Server, we click the Yes, Delete It button.
- As a result, the Virtual Server we select will delete and no longer accessible.
How to fix common errors encountered while deleting Virtual Server in Virtualmin ?
Domain not listed under the virtual server
Recently, we had a client who was unable to create a domain "domain.com". He came across the error:
"Failed to create virtual server: The domain domain.com is already hosted by your Apache webserver"
He was unable to list the "domain.com" under the virtual server list to delete.
In such a case, we can delete the entry from the apache virtual host manually.
We simply edited the apache configuration file and remove the virtual host block for the "domain.com":
# vi /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
In addition, we ensure to remove the corresponding user for the domain.
We can do that from the command line, or from Webmin -> System -> Users and Groups.