This article covers how to enable Multi-Path Input-Output or MPIO on a Windows server either from a graphical interface using the Server Manager console or from the PowerShell command line.
Multipathing is the technique of creating more than one physical path between the server and its storage devices. It results in better fault tolerance and performance enhancement. Oracle VM Servers are installed with multipathing enabled because it is a requirement for SAN disks to be discovered by Oracle VM Manager.
To Install MPIO in Windows Server 2008 R2:
Note You must restart the server after you follow these steps.
1. Open Server Manager. To do this, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
2. In Server Manager, click Features, and then click Add Features.
3. Select the Multipath I/O feature for installation, and then click Next.
4. Finish the installation by confirming the selections, and then restart the server.
To Configure MPIO for StorSimple volumes:
MPIO must be configured to identify StorSimple volumes.
To configure MPIO to recognize StorSimple volumes, follow these steps:
1. Open the MPIO configuration. To do this, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click MPIO.
2. In the MPIO window, click Add on the MPIO Devices tab.
3. Type SSIMPLE Model in the Add MPIO Support window under Device Hardware ID.
4. Restart the server when you are prompted.
To Mount a StorSimple volume in Windows Server 2008 R2:
After MPIO is configured on the server, volumes that are created on the StorSimple appliance can be mounted and can take advantage of MPIO for redundancy.
To mount a volume, follow these steps:
1. Open the iSCSI Initiator Properties dialog box on the server. To do this, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click iSCSI Initiator.
2. In the iSCSI Initiator Properties dialog box, click the Discovery tab, and then click Discover Portal.
3. Type the IP address of the "DATA" port on the StorSimple appliance.
Note If you use a private network for iSCSI connections, type the IP address of the DATA port that is connected to the private network.
4. Click the Targets tab in the iSCSI Initiator Properties dialog box. This displays the StorSimple appliance iSCSI qualified name (IQN) in the Discovered Targets section.
5. Click Connect to establish the iSCSI session with the StorSimple appliance. In the Connect To Target dialog box, click to select the Enable multi-path check box.
6. Open Server Manager. To do this, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
7. In Server Manager, click Storage, and then click Disk Management. Volumes that are created on the StorSimple appliance and that are visible to this server appear under Disk Management as new disks.
8. Initialize the disk and create a new volume. During the format process, select a block size of 64 kilobytes (KB).
9. Under Disk Management, right-click the disk, and then click Properties.
10. In the SSIMPLE Model #### Multi-Path Disk Device Properties dialog box, click the MPIO tab, click Details in the DSM Name section, and then verify that the parameters are set to the default parameters.