This article covers the process of installing Docker CE on AlmaLinux. Docker is a popular virtualization platform for running applications in Containers.
It allows us to build and communicate containers with one on another.
To install Docker CE on AlmaLinux 8:
1. Add official Docker CE repository on your AlmaLinux 8, so that we can install it without downloading its packages manually.
$ sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo=https://download.docker.com/linux/centos/docker-ce.repo
2. To let the system recognize the added Docker repository and the packages available in the same, run the system update that will force AlmaLinux to rebuild the system repo cache.
$ sudo dnf update
3. You can check the added repo including others of your system using the command.
$ sudo dnf repolist -v
4. Run the Command to Install Docker CE Engine.
$ sudo dnf install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io
5. Once the installation is completed, start the Docker service on your AlmaLinux and also enable it to run automatically with system boot.
$ sudo systemctl enable docker
$ sudo systemctl start docker
6. Check the Status of the Service to know it is working properly.
$ systemctl status docker